Sunday, July 7, 2013

How should I deal with this scam?

How should I deal with this scam?
I put a tuba up on Craig's list to sell and got a response saying that they wanted it and told me to give my address and phone number so they can send me a certified check. So, I gave them the info and they replied with this email... Hello I am sorry because it took me some time before getting back to you because my mother is seriously Sick she is 76 years old though someone will be happy when his/her gets old but too much problems because of their A geeing moreso i am still very sorry but your payment will be delivered to you tomorrow via FedEx with FedEx Tracking #869275264325 Kindly work on the check but its very important to make sure u send Shipper's fund to them Tomorrow because the check is $875 and the cost of the item $300 and you will have $575 left please Kindly make sure you send $520 to my Shipper via Western Union today and Find Below the information of my shipper in which you will be sending the $520 via western union . Iris Mercado 210 Woodcliff Ave North Bergen New Jersey 07047 Though $875 - $300 will give u $575 but it will cost u about $50 to send remaining money to them but i am not sure but kindly let me know how much you have left please furthermore i am suppose to work on their money but i believe u can help me to do this today AM because my Mom is seriously Sick and takes all my time So please Deposit the check in ur Bank account and make a withdrawal of $570 and send $520 to my Shipper because thier money is exactly $520 and i will be waiting to recieve western union details from u shortly. Please all information you need to send me when you send the money today are, SENDER'S NAME and ADDRESS, MTCN and Total amount you sent which will be $520 hopefully and also let me know pick up time. Thanks for Understanding.. Will be waiting to hear from u soon. I realized after this email that this is clearly a scam and I want to know what to do with the check when it comes, what I should reply back, if I should go to the authorities, and if there is any harm with them knowing my address and phone number.
Spam & Bulk Mail - 4 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
if you clearly know it a scam, Do you honestly think you are going you receive a check for $875.00 do not send them any money take the letter to the authorities
2 :
Since the suspect already knows your name and address, it is best for the FBI to have your name and address as a complainant.
3 :
Contact the FBI internet crimes division http://www.ic3.gov/default.aspx and give the cheque to your local fbi office http://www.fbi.gov/contact/fo/fo.htm when it arrives, you dont want to be caught with fake cheques as you can be arrested. if it really was sent fedex the fbi can track where it was sent from and who sent it. let the fbi know they know your address and phone number if you want to answer just say that you tried to deposit it and the bank told you the cheque was fake and would not accept it and would not give it back to you. Tell them to send you another one, and they will lose money on fedex charges each time they send you something. If they do try to contact or threaten you act stupid and say that the bank must have called the fbi or police
4 :
Yes, it IS obviously a scam. Once you get the check, save it and any other correspondence for the authorities as mail fraud is a federal offense. You can report it to either the FBI or the postal service. Others, too, if you want to: FBI Internet Crimes Complaints Center http://www.ic3.gov/default.aspx Internet Fraud Complaint Center: ifcc.tp@fbi.gov FraudAid Scam Reporting Email: scamreports@fraudaid.com Castle Cops: depositscam@coldrain.net Federal Trade Commission: spam@uce.gov Fraudwatch International: scams@fraudwatchinternational.com