Wednesday, September 1, 2010

How can I travel to Norway for a Summer, but still earn money while I'm there?

How can I travel to Norway for a Summer, but still earn money while I'm there?
I'm Norwegian, and I'd like to go to Norway to connect with my roots. The problem is that I have a lot of student debt that will probably take the rest of my life to pay back. I have to make payments on these debts monthly so I need to find a job wherever I go. Is there some kind of exchange program that I can participate in or youth hostel that I could work in? I'm willing to learn almost anything especially if it has to do with Norwegian culture. Any ideas or advice?
Other - Europe - 1 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
If you have Norwegian citizenship and speak the language, you should have no problem picking up a summer job in touristy areas assuming you go early enough. Most of these hire before mid-June (and many are hiring now for summer) so it does depend on when you'd be here. Hiring almost comes to a standstill from mid-July through August. https://www.nav.no/sbl/stillingssok/enkelt.do http://www.finn.no/jobb/ If you don't have Norwegian citizenship (or citizenship with an EU country), or you don't speak a Scandinavian language, getting a job isn't really possible. This is true wherever you travel in Europe, you need a citizenship that allows you to work alongside the local language. In the first case as a foreigner, you would need a sponsored work permit in order to work here. Those are only available for skilled work, particularly in areas where Norway is lacking workers (like engineering). You can also get permits for seasonal jobs (like in fishing/whaling) but you generally need experience and contacts for this. http://www.udi.no/Norwegian-Directorate-of-Immigration/Central-topics/Work-and-residence/ If you don't speak a Scandinavian language you won't find unskilled work in Norway, even if you're legal to work here. Hostels and other touristy places often ask for 3+ languages (English, Scandinavian and an additional one). Any job that just hires for the summer is likely to be in service (hotels, restaurants, tourist shops). Norwegian is a requirement for these types of jobs, even when you aren't dealing with the public.