Thursday, February 28, 2013

I live in Texas but want to move to Berlin Germany?

I live in Texas but want to move to Berlin Germany?
Ok, I am 19 and wanting to start a new life! I quit my job as a stage hand and Rhodie because my boss is a perv and had a crush on me! but anyways, i have no source on income. So i am going to get a job as a bar tender or something that makes a decent amount of money and tips! I am going to save all that money for an apartment, my parents even said that they would help out the first couple months! But is anyone on here from germany? if so can you tell me what its like, i have only been to Denmark and Sweden! I love the German language, and i have been studying it for a while, but want to speak it fluently! i am tied of the USA! I love going to new places. I am actually part german, norwegian and italian, my dad was born in oslo norway as well! But back on the topic, I have been doing research over Berlin, looking at apartments, I don't care where it is as long as it is near Berlin or Hamburg! Does anyone know of any good apartments over there, with a good descent price, for a one person, and one bed room? I would appreciate anything right now! i just want to get out of here lol! I cant join the Military for health reasons! My dad wants to move back to Sweden.
Other - Germany - 8 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
then you should follow your heart
2 :
Believe your heart and instinct, see what your friends say. The u.s. is a great place but so is germany.
3 :
check the intenet like everyone else does (no direspect)
4 :
your not a kid anymore, so if you want to move to germany then do it. i would love to move there too. im a huge history buff. hope you can speak german. go online and look for local newspapers from germany, they will probably have a section of rental apartments and stuff. most newspapers do. good luck in germany. :)
5 :
I can't help you with the apartments, but I can suggest a good program for learning German. Try looking on Google for the Rosetta Stone program, my mom knew someone who used it to learn English and they were surprised at how easy & fun the program was. The program is on the expensive side, but if you're planning to move to Germany and want to become fluent, it's probably worth the investment. Also, Rosetta stone has a free web community where you can make friends with people from other countries and practice speaking eachother's languages via audio chat. See my source links for more information.
6 :
You haven't thought this through. You need a VISA and it will expire forcing you to move back. Go take a vacation to scratch that itch. You issues are not with the location your in they are with you. No matter where you move you will have new and similar issues. Also in countries like Germany where jobs are limited they don't like to give the good ones to us yanks. I suggest you join the military. They will send you to new and exotic places where you can observe then shoot the locals.
7 :
If you want to move to Germany and do not mind a little bit of a strict life style then I'd suggest going into the Army or Air Force. You can request (but that doesn't mean you will get it) to be stationed in Germany or Europe. Once there keep on extending your time at the duty station (which is not that hard to do), and when you get out of the military after your 3 or 4 years then tell them that you want to move to either Berlin or Hamburg. If you have a good person working at the military transitioning place then the military would pay for you to move all your belongings to an apartment in one of those cities. Once in a European duty station you can pretty easily tour most of Western Europe by train or car, and living in those countries you can fully immerse yourself the local language.
8 :
Hey Sammy, I'm also 19 yrs old and living in Germany now =) But if you want to move to Germany, you absolutely must learn German. People might say that you can get by with just English, and that's true, for a tourist. Without German, it will be almost impossible to get anything done (dealing with visa, finding a place to live, getting around, being able to get a job... etc...). In addition, its not exactly to work here as a non-eu citizen. And the unemployment rate is quite high (compared to the US) in Germany, particularly in the east. Berlin is between 10-15% I think. I don't want to discourage you from moving here though, because its an amazing country and a great experience to live abroad. But you really need to look deeply into this to be able to pull it off. Learning german is the best place to start :)